Temazepam is a medication that is used for treating unbalanced chemicals in the brain that cause sleeping disorders. This medication is mainly used for treating insomnia, a sleeping disorder that a lot of people suffer from. Insomnia is caused by the imbalance of chemicals in the brain; its symptoms include trouble in falling asleep, or frequently waking up in the middle of the night, waking up too early in the mornings, etc. Temazepam has sedative effects; it enhances the effects of GABA which is a chemical transmitter in the brain. This drug is used by people suffering from sleeping disorders as it provides short-term relief from insomnia. It belongs to the group of medicines known as benzodiazepines.
Similar to any other medication, this medicine also has its fair share of adverse effects. Remember your doctor has prescribed you this medication probably because it is the best option for you; however if you notice any severe side effects, consult your doctor immediately.
Here are some common side effects of this drug:
- Allergic reaction (swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat or hives, troubled breathing, nausea, and vomiting)
- Anxiety or any other memory problems
- Depressed mood
- Suicidal thoughts
- Day-time drowsiness
- Feeling nervous
These side effects are usually mild and tend to go away within a few days or weeks.
Other more severe side effects include:
- Doing activities while you’re not completely conscious such as driving, eating talking, having sex, sleepwalking, and later onwards having no memory of it happening
- Abnormal thoughts and behavior (suicidal actions, worsened depression, being more aggressive than usual)
- Severe allergic reactions
The list does not mention all of the possible adverse effects that are associated with this drug. If you notice any of these side effects, make sure to consult your doctor as soon as possible.
How to use this medication
You need to take this medication exactly how it has been prescribed to you. Do not increase or decrease the dosage unless your doctor tells you to do so. This drug is addictive, which is why you must not share it with someone else, especially someone who has a history of substance abuse or is a drug or alcohol addict. Misuse of this medication can cause addiction; it can lead to overdosing and death as well. This medication is to be taken only if you can sleep for several hours as you may fall asleep as soon as you take the drug. Do not take this medication if you have to wake up within a few hours.
Temazepam can only be used for a short time to treat sleeping disorders. Don’t stop taking the medication suddenly as it can cause withdrawal symptoms. If you suddenly stop using the drug, there is a high chance of your insomnia returning. Keep track of the number of medications you take as it can cause addiction.
Before using this medication, there are a few things that you must be aware of. This drug is an addictive drug hence it should only be used when prescribed by the doctor. Misusing this drug can lead to an overdose and can cause death as well. To ensure your health and safety, do not take this medication if you are allergic to benzodiazepines. Inform your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Asthma, COPD, or any other breathing disorder
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- A history of alcohol and drug addiction
- A history of depression or suicidal actions and thoughts
- If you are using a narcotic medication
Women who are expecting or are planning on getting pregnant must not use this medication as it can cause birth defects as well as dangerous withdrawal symptoms in a newborn. Your baby could also become dependent on this drug. Also, women who are breastfeeding must not use this medication as it can pass into breast milk and can harm a nursing baby.
Some upsides of this drug include:
- It is useful for short-term relief for insomnia
- Has sedative properties and has less anti-seizure and anxiolytic effects
- A generic version of this medication is also available
Some downsides of this drug include:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, oversedation, short-term memory loss, etc.
- Drop in blood pressure, increasing the risk of falls.
- Withdrawal symptoms include tremor, abdominal pain, muscle cramps, vomiting, rare seizures
- It is addictive and can cause dependence.
- Increased risk of birth defects if used during pregnancy
- Paradoxical reactions