Hyzaar is a drug that is used to treat issues of high blood pressure. It is extremely important to lower high blood pressure and bring it back to normal as it helps prevent incidents of heart failure, strokes, and even kidney problems. People with an enlarged heart or those who suffer from hypertension, i.e., high blood pressure are usually the victims of such deadly diseases.
Hyzaar is made up of two drug components namely losartan and hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor antagonist while hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide diuretic or commonly known as ‘water pill.’ Both of these work together to restore normal blood pressure in affected individuals.
What are the common side effects of Hyzaar?
Although severe side effects of this medicine are rare, there have been instances of such effects on a few users. The major side effects of Hyzaar are mentioned below and will require immediate medical attention if you experience any of these.
Major side effects
- Eye pain and problems in vision
- Feeling lightheaded and dizzy, as if you may pass out
- Symptoms of jaundice like yellowing of the eyes and skin
- Kidney problems causing symptoms such as little to no urination, difficulty urinating, feeling short of breath, swelling in the hands and feet
- Easy bruising and unusual bleeding
- Signs of low potassium such as leg cramps, constipation, numbness or tingling, muscle weakness, irregular heartbeats
There are minor side effects of this drug as well, but these are temporary and tend to go away once the treatment is completed. It is possible you might not even experience any side effects at all.
Minor side effects
- Symptoms of cold such as a stuffy nose, sore throat, sneezing, etc.
- Back pain
- Dizziness and drowsiness
These side effects are mild and are fairly common among users. They are not dangerous and do not require you to consult a doctor. However, if you notice these signs aggravating, see a doctor at once.
How does Hyzaar work?
Containing losartan and hydrochlorothiazide, Hyzaar brings about an effect of both the drugs. Losartan is responsible for relaxing blood vessels. Relaxed blood vessels are wider and ensure a smooth flow of blood to the heart. Plus, it also helps the heart to pump blood easily throughout the rest of the body without it being under strain, that in turn helps lower blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide eliminates excess salt and water from the body to help lower blood pressure as too much salt being absorbed by the body can result in fluid retention.
How to use the drug Hyzaar?
Hyzaar is a medicinal drug and should only be taken with a doctor’s recommendation. The medicine tablet needs to be taken orally with a full glass of water. It is recommended to take this medicine without food, but if you suffer from an upset stomach, you may take it with food or a glass of milk, and it may help to take it at least 4 hours before bedtime to avoid having up to go urinate. You may also choose to follow your doctor’s directions. The dosage may vary according to the patient’s medical health, weight, and age. It is important to swallow the tablet as a whole and not chew, break, or bite it as this may increase the side effects. Do not alter dosages or overdose as it may lead to serious, potentially fatal, side effects. Take Hyzaar regularly as per your doctor’s recommendation for the best of results.
Before using Hyzaar
- Do not use Hyzaar if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredient
- Do not use Hyzaar if you are unable or face difficulty while urinating
- Do not use this medication along with aliskiren, particularly if you have diabetes.
- People with kidney diseases should also avoid Hyzaar.
Precautions for using Hyzaar
- May make you dizzy; do not engage in activities that require complete attention such as driving and operating machinery until fully alert.
- Get up from a lying or a sitting position slowly to avoid falling over due to being dizzy.
- Avoid alcohol consumption when taking this medicine as it may increase the risks of side effects.
- Pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant should not use this medicine as it may harm the growing child.
- Breastfeeding women should also avoid using this medicine as it passes through breast milk and may harm the nursing child.
- Avoid getting dehydrated while using Hyzaar.