Hytrin is an externally administered medication that contains Terazosin as its active ingredient. This active ingredient belongs to the class of medications known as alpha-adrenergic blockers (also called alpha-1 antagonist).
Hytrin today is used for various medical conditions. It is prescribed by doctors for treating high blood pressure, i.e., hypertension. Its mode of action also makes it useful to treat the symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH); especially making urination easy for men suffering from an enlarged prostate.
The medicine may also be used for other purposes not mentioned in the guide.
Side effects of Hytrin:
Just like other medicines, Hytrin too has side effects. These side effects range from being mild to severe. Some of the common side effects that are considered to be mild in nature are as follows:
- Moderate dizziness
- Feeling drowsy
- Blurred vision
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of appetite
- Dry eyes
- Nasal congestion
These side effects tend to occur at the start of the treatment and perish within a day or two. However, they may persist and start to worsen; triggering serious medical conditions. Therefore, seek medical help promptly if any side effect is experienced.
Apart from these, some of the serious side effects include:
- Erectile dysfunction
- A sensation of fluttering in your chest
- Swelling of your hands, arms, legs, etc.
- Difficulty in breathing
Note that other side effects that have not been listed in this guide may also be experienced. Usually, doctors and pharmacists inform patients about the side effects they may be likely to experience at the start of their treatment.
For further queries and concerns regarding this, you may consult your healthcare provider.
How to use?
You are strongly advised to read the directions given on the prescription label carefully before starting your dose and follow them all with responsibility.
Take each dose as per the instructions of your doctor. Make sure to take timely and balanced doses in order to avoid inconvenience. Do not overdose or skip your doses. You may take Hytrin with or without food.
Furthermore, check your blood pressure at regular intervals while administering it, and keep a record of the results.
- Neither use nor prescribe it to someone else without the recommendation of a doctor.
- Do not use it if you take Viagra, Revatio, Cialis, Levitra, Calan and water pills, etc. as they interact negatively with Terazosin. There are other drugs as well that react negatively with Hytrin. Therefore, it is essential to inform your doctor about the medicine, if any, that you use.
- It is not suitable under certain medical conditions. Thus, make sure to provide yours and your family’s medical history to your doctor.
- Inform your doctor if you become pregnant while taking it as it may harm the unborn baby.
- Let your doctor know if you breastfeed a baby, as it may pass through the breast milk, affecting your baby.
- Keep it away from children’s reach, heat, sunlight, and moisture.