Coreg is a drug that is used to treat issues of high blood pressure. It is extremely important to lower high blood pressure and bring it back to normal as it helps prevent incidents of heart failure, strokes, and even kidney problems. People with an enlarged heart or who suffer from hypertension, i.e., high blood pressure are usually the victims of such deadly diseases.
Coreg may also prove helpful to improve the chances of survival for anyone who has had heart failure. Coreg belongs to the class of drugs known as beta-blockers and makes blood flow around the body easy and smooth.
Common side effects of Coreg
Although severe side effects of this medicine are rare, there have been instances of such effects on a few users. The major side effects of Coreg are mentioned below and will require immediate medical attention if you experience any of these.
Major side effects
- Slow and irregular heartbeats
- Cold hands and feet and feeling of numbness or tingling on the skin
- Chest pain
- Dry cough and wheezing
- Feeling of lightheadedness, as if you might pass out
- Swelling in different parts of the body
- Rapid weight gain
- Trouble breathing
- Symptoms of high blood sugar level such as increased thirst and hunger, dry mouth, frequent need to urinate, blurred vision, etc.
There are minor side effects of this drug too, but these are temporary and tend to go away once the treatment is completed. It is possible you might not even experience any side effects at all.
Minor side effects
- Weakness and lethargy
- Drowsiness and dizziness
- Upset stomach such as diarrhea
- Dry eyes
- Weight gain
These side effects are mild and are fairly common among users. They are not dangerous and do not require you to consult a doctor. However, if you notice these signs aggravating, see a doctor at once.
How does Coreg work?
Coreg is a beta-blocker and hence, improves blood flow around the body. This medicine works by preventing natural chemicals in the body such as epinephrine from carrying out their function on the beta receptors of the heart and blood. This results in relaxed blood vessels that eventually lead to lowered blood pressure and reduced chest pain. High blood pressure is caused due to constricted blood vessels that place an increased strain on the heart to pump blood around the body in order to fulfill the oxygen demand of the body.
How to use Coreg?
Coreg is a medicinal drug and should only be taken with a doctor’s recommendation. Coreg must be taken orally with a full glass of water. You may choose to take the medicine with or without a meal, but you may also choose to follow your doctor’s directions. The dosage may vary according to the patient’s medical health, weight, and age but it usually tends to be 2 times per day. Swallow the tablet whole and not chew, break or bite it as this may increase the side effects.
Do not alter dosages or overdose as it may lead to serious side effects. Take Coreg regularly as per your doctor’s recommendation for the best of results.
- Do not use Coreg if you are allergic to it or any of its ingredients
- Do not use it if you suffer from a respiratory disease particularly asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, or have a severe liver disease or a heart condition
- May make you dizzy; do not engage in activities that require complete attention such as driving and operating machinery until fully alert.
- Get up from a lying or a sitting position slowly to avoid falling over due to being dizzy.
- Avoid alcohol consumption when taking this medicine as it may increase the risks of side effects.
- Pregnant women should not use Coreg without a doctor’s recommendation as it may harm the unborn child.
- Breastfeeding women should not use this medicine as it may through breast milk and harm the nursing child.
- Follow a strict diet with sufficient exercise while undergoing treatment with Coreg.