Augmentin is a combination medicine containing Amoxicillin and clavulanic acid as its main ingredients. This penicillin kind of antibiotic is used to cure a large number of bacterial infections. It retards the growth of bacteria, thus creating a barrier and halting the production of new infections.
Augmentin only works for bacterial infections like pneumonia, ear problems, urinary tract disorders, and skin infections. However, it is not effective to treat viral infections of any sort. Using it to cure these viral symptoms is of no benefit at all.
Augmentin, while being an effective antibiotic, has some side effects too. These side effects vary in their severity, hence they are classified as minor side effects and major side effects; with the former being less severe and the latter being more severe, thus taking more time to cure.
Minor side effects
Minor side effects are less severe and can be treated in a relatively shorter time period with the proper medications and treatment from a healthcare practitioner. The minor side effects of Augmentin include:
- Diarrhea is reported
- Face a problem of gas
- Headaches are frequent and severe
- Skin rash occurs in different areas
- Suffer from a vaginal infection
- White patches occur in your mouth or throat
- You experience abdominal pain
- You feel nauseous
- You suffer from severe stomach pain
Major side effects
The major side effects are severe and take time to heal. They occur in a few people using the medicine and are hence termed as rare and severe side effects. Some rare and severe side effects of Augmentin are listed below:
- Easy bleeding and bruising happens
- Experience high fever
- Get a sore throat
- Visible symptoms of jaundice
- You feel confused
- You get bloody diarrhea
- You suffer from a sudden loss of appetite
- You suffer from weakness
How it works?
It works by invading the cell wall of bacteria that is responsible for causing harm to the body, or it works by replicating the harmful bacteria. Augmentin tablets are to be taken orally with a glass of water to take them in. It is often prescribed as it can cure many different diseases.
It is better to fix a time in a day for taking the medicine to have fewer chances of missing a dose and aggravating your health.
You need to keep taking the medicine even after you have recovered from the illness. If you stop the medicine, there is a chance that the bacteria will start growing again. In this case, the infection will happen again. Consult your doctor if this happens.
There are some cautions that you need to take while taking Augmentin. These include:
Inform your doctor of your allergy to any of the ingredients present in Augmentin. Tell him you if you suffer from some other allergies.
Inform your doctor if you:
- Have suffered from a liver disease
- Had a kidney disorder
- Suffer from infectious mononucleosis
- Ask your doctor before getting vaccinated while you are on Augmentin
- Try to avoid Augmentin in pregnancy and take it only when prescribed by a doctor.
- Augmentin passes into the breastmilk. Therefore, consult your doctor before starting it if you are breast-feeding a baby.