Cymbalta is a medicine that is used to treat a variety of different diseases. It is largely used to treat depression also called major depressive disorder, anxiety, and panic disorders. This medicine may also be used to relieve chronic pain due to different health issues including arthritis, back pain, fibromyalgia as well as nerve pain, known as peripheral neuropathy in diabetic patients.
Common side effects of Cymbalta
Although severe side effects of this medicine are rare, there have been instances of such effects on a few users. The major side effects of Cymbalta are mentioned below and will require immediate medical attention.
Major side effects
- Seizures or convulsions
- A manic episode
- Chest tightness and trouble breathing
- Blurred or double vision
- Painful urination
- A severe nervous system reaction
- Symptoms of serotonin syndrome
- Signs of low sodium levels
There are minor side effects of this drug too, but these are temporary and tend to go away once the treatment is completed. It is possible you might not even experience any side effects at all.
Minor side effects
- Dizziness and drowsiness
- Vision changes
- Upset stomach such as diarrhea, vomiting, etc.
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Increased sweating
These side effects are mild and are fairly common among users. They are not dangerous and do not require you to consult a doctor. However, if you notice any of these signs aggravating, see a doctor at once.
How does Cymbalta work?
Cymbalta belongs to the class of drugs known as selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by restoring the natural balance of serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain that helps elevate mood, relieve pain, and restore energy to provide an overall feeling of well-being.
How to use Cymbalta
Cymbalta is a medicinal drug and should only be taken with a doctor’s recommendation. It should be taken orally with water. It is recommended to take the medicine with a meal, but you may also choose to follow your doctor’s directions. The dosage may vary according to the patient’s medical health, weight, and age but it usually tends to be 1 to 2 times per day. Swallow the tablet whole. D not chew, break or bite it as this may increase the side effects.
Do not alter dosages or overdose as it may lead to serious side effects. Take Cymbalta regularly as per your doctor’s recommendation for the best of results.
- Do not use Cymbalta if you are allergic to it.
- Do not use it if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 2 weeks.
- This medicine may react severely if you take it along with a stimulant drug. Therefore, ensure your doctor knows all your prescriptions.
- Cymbalta is not suitable for individuals under 18
- Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding as it may harm the child.
- May make you dizzy, do not drive or use machinery until fully alert.