Aleve is one over the counter brand of the drug naproxen sodium 220mg. There are certain types of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and naproxen is one of them.
Naproxen is used to relieve pain such as a headache, muscle aches, dental pain; menstrual cramps fever and relieve minor aches and pain due to the common cold or flu.
Naproxen being an important drug works by blocking the production of prostaglandins, substances in the body that play a role in pain and inflammation.
The FDA approved naproxen in December 1991.
A number of medications can cause side effects. A side effect is basically an unwanted response to a drug when it is taken in regular doses. They may be mild or severe, permanent or temporary.
The common side effects of naproxen (Aleve) are:
- Ringing in the ears
- Abdominal pain
- Fluid retention
- Shortness of breath
- Heart failure
- Blood clots
- Heart attacks
- Blood pressure
How to use this medication?
The most usual recommended dose of this medication for adults and children 12 to 65 years: 1 capsule and the tablet to be taken every 8 to 12 hours as needed or prescribed by the doctor.
For adults over 65 years of age, the usual dose is 1 capsule, but the tablet must be taken every 12 hours.
- The most important point to remember is that the not more than 2 capsules should be taken within 24 hours periods
- The pill should be taken with a full glass of water and after a particular
- The medication should be taken for a very short period of time approximately for up to 5 days for pain and 3 days for fever.
- If for some reason you miss a dose, do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one. Consult a doctor for this issue before taking medicine.
- Naproxen should be kept at room temperature.
- Consult a doctor and let them know about your medical histories such as any allergic reactions to a specific medicine, or any blood disorders, heart diseases, blood pressure or liver issues.
- While taking naproxen you may face kidney problems such as dehydration that can cause urine problems, so you must keep yourself hydrated.
- After taking a dosage of this medication you may feel a bit dizziness and drowsiness, so must be sure not to drive.
- Naproxen may cause stomach bleeding, so it is necessary to avoid daily use of alcohol.
- This medication makes your skin sensitive to the sun, so limit the time you spend in the sun
- Inform your doctor about any salt-restricted
- Older adults such as in the age 60+ have more possibilities of facing the side effects of this medication.
- The medication must not be taken during the first and last three months of pregnancy because it may harm the unborn baby.